Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Speed Work and Product Reviews

Last night was our first speed workout at the track. I was still feeling sore from Sunday, so I thought I might take it easy. I don't need to be getting injured. We did 400 metre repeats with a 200 metre rest in between and then finished off with two two hundred metre repeats. Here's how they went:

1st 400 - 2:07
2nd 400 - 2:08
3rd 400 - 2:15
4th 400 - 2:09
5th 400 - 2:04
1st 200 - 1:02
2nd 200 - 0:57

Not great, but I don't hurt too bad this morning. My shins even feel a little better.

So now, on to the product reviews.

Amy's Roasted Vegetable Pizza
All I can say is yum! It's not really large enough to share with a hungry hubby, so I had it all to myself. The sauce is made from caramelized onions. It's sweet and not tomatoey at all. Very different and I loved it. I had half before leaving for the track and ate the rest as my post workout meal. This is definitely something I'd like to have in my freezer for emergency meals.

So Nice Strawberry Soy Yogurt
Another winner. This was my first time buying soy yogurt and I will definitely buy it again. It tastes somewhat like real yogurt, and the calories and nutrients are similar to the real thing. It is quite a bit thinner than cow's milk yogurt, but I don't mind the consistency.

Tofutti Milk Free American Flavored Slices
These are the soy version of "Kraft Singles". I haven't eaten a slice on it's own, but it's good on a sandwich. I'll keep these in the house.

Tofurky Italian Deli Slices
This was the main reason for the field trip to the Superstore on the weekend. On their own, the taste is just so-so. But I've been making sandwiches with the Tofurky slices, the Tofutti American flavoured slices, Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise, French's Bold 'n Spicy Deli Mustard, and some lettuce and tomato. Let me tell you, these are really good sandwiches. It's worth the drive to St. Thomas for these slices.

President's Choice Meatless Beef Strips
Maybe it's just that I remember what real beef tastes like, but I wasn't crazy about these. I veganized a stew recipe on the weekend, and while everything else in the recipe tasted great, the fake meat just took something away from it. I doubt if I'll buy these again.

So those are just a few of the vegan products I've been lucky enough to get my hands on. It's taken some research to find these since the area I live in isn't very vegan friendly. I know there will be hits and misses, but so far, I'm pretty happy with my findings.

No comments: