Friday, February 02, 2007

I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing

Yesterday we had a staff lunch at one of the nicer restaurants in town. I had a chicken breast stuffed with some kind of bread, crab meat and asparagus,wrapped in proscuitto with a cream sauce. It came with a twice baked potato. The serving was huge and I was hungry, so I ate the whole thing. When we got back to the office, I had a bit of a tummy ache from all that food and I knew I was in trouble for my 10 mile run in the evening.

The run started out okay, but I was still feeling heavy and bloated. A couple of miles in I knew I had to find a washroom. I didn't want to slow my running buddies down, so I made it over half way before I suggested we stop for a washroom break. I felt slightly better after that.

It was a fairly mild night compared to some of our runs lately. The temperature was a balmy -3 C. The sidewalks were snow covered, so we ran on the road where we could, but on the busier streets we stuck to the sidewalks. Running through snow is like running through sand, and I started to get a pain in my lower left leg. It wasn't a good pain. It was kind of like when I had my stress fractures, but it wasn't on my tibia, more to the side.

Once we got past University Hospital, and we were on our way back, we were on quieter streets, so we got off the sidewalk and ran on the street. A car came by and some guy yelled out the window at us to ask if we knew what the sidewalks were for. Jerk. Runners have the right to run on the roads. We've been told that a number of times by our coach. And it wasn't like the jerk didn't have room to get around us.

Anyway, my tummy started feeling yucky again and I thought I might need another pit stop. I struggled on and we made it back. 10 miles in 1:57.

Somebody warn me next time I think I can eat a big meal on a running day.

No comments: